For awhile I have had the desire to create some sort of fantastic contraption that combines relational databases and REST services that allows for people for example to mash up distributed data in a nice formal and hopefully automated way.
I do not know much about database theory but the main difference is that with a REST service it is usually impossible to enumerate a given set of relations. This is something a query planner/relational calculus could easily work around I would imagine. Naturally some types of queries would be impossible!
The other half of the solution would be a common registry of adapters and relations since such software would need to have definitions as to what nouns are compatible and how to convert between similar data but with different interfaces. This would make work writing software that uses distributed services much simpler. Imagine being able to do use SQL joins to mash data up!
Maybe I will try hacking such a system up when I am not playing one of the bazzilions games that just came out (Mario Galaxy is awesome!). Hopefully it wont be to hard to create a proof of concept.
0 comments:
Post a Comment